Thursday, July 2, 2009

Drum Roll Please...

My only real exciting news is that I'm here writing about the lack of exciting news in life. I know. What a let down from the title.

I have a few things on my mind. First, my good friend asked if I had a blog, and I was embarrassed to point her to this really not cute blog I have going. I have tried pasting those darn codes for cute blogs and it tells me something about widgets. Any help please? (Not that I post much anyway, but perhaps if it were cute, I'd post more often.)

Another topic: technology. This keeps coming up with friends...teenagers and texting. I heard this fascinating woman on NPR the other day talking about the effects this is having on teenagers' development.

It's funny to me that teenagers had never, ever had cell phones until recently and now we (I use we loosely) think they're a necessity. Incidentally, in my senior year of high school my very cool aunt and uncle worked for a cell phone company and hooked me up with a phone. It was huge and probably had 100 minutes a year, but it was pretty sweet!

Here is the link to the program (scroll down).

http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/06/rundown-625/

Also on my mind: quotation marks. Every so often (for instance, right now) I get zoned in on a grammar thing that bothers me. In America we almost always put them outside the punctuation mark (some exceptions for question marks...don't need to go there though). The thing that really bothers me about it is reading books, magazines, etc. and finding this error.

Next topic: my fertility. People are starting to ask me if/when we're having another child. This really doesn't bother me at all, but I figure if I post the answer to that question I won't have to explain and people will know I'm honestly not in mourning of any kind. Really. I promise. The answer is (this could warrant a drum roll perhaps) I have had several miscarriages. Nothing seems to be wrong -- I have had some minor tests but don't plan to spend a ton of time/money unearthing the mystery.

If anything, I feel even more grateful for the little beauties I've already been given. I didn't expect to exit my childbearing phase this soon (and maybe I am not quite exiting yet) but have plenty of plans in store for whenever that happens. I still think we'll have another one, but we'll see.

Let's see...anything else on my mind? Oh! Just how wonderful SYTYCD is. Love it. Love the ballerina. There is something exceptional about classical ballet. I just LOVE IT!!

Until next year when I post again...

6 comments:

Q'Ville said...

Ok, the grammar thing, it really depends. Often people don't pay attention and just put a ) or a . without thinking it thru. I guess i should do my own grammar rippin' blog post.
Ah, fertility... or the lack thereof. Just keep having good, healthy fun. ;D

Kate and Adrian Klemme said...

Hey lady. I couldn't get most of the backgrounds to work, but I finally got it pretty easily with backgroundfairy.com. Ours is a bit gaudy, but heavens knows that doesn't scare me. Miss you!

Kevin & Michelle said...

Oh Britt, I so miss you. Maybe facebook would be easier for you? It has been way easier for me and my computer dummy brain.

Jason said...

I never know... when does the quotation mark go inside and when does it go outside the punctuation. It confuses me to know end... so much so that whenever I use quotes, I end the sentence with a parenthetical citation just because that rule is simple.

Jason said...

Sorry for not using a question mark above. I can't undo it now.

Brittany said...

Jason...I assume you are my brother and not someone random. Ok, so periods and commas always go inside quotation marks.

In a nutshell it comes down to whether the overall sentence is a question or not. For instance: Who said, "Give me that banana"? That is correct because the question mark doesn't go with the clause, "Give me that banana." It's the overall sentence that is the question.

That's how it makes sense in my head, but whether that makes sense to anyone else, I don't know.

What's funny is I didn't notice your lack of a question mark, but you didn't notice you put "know" instead of "no." He he...where are you going to school again? :) Just kidding. Love ya. (If you're my brother.)